Among the hundreds of important wedding decisions every couple must make before their Big Day, choosing a wedding cake is likely one of the most difficult. With endless combinations of cake shapes, fillings, decorations, and toppings, narrowing down your options may seem like an impossible task! Luckily, Imperial’s handy 2015 Wedding Cake Guide will help you and your fiance get to the fun part (the tasting session, of course!) sooner!
- Round – Simple and Elegant
- Square – Modern and Stylish
- Scalloped – Traditional
- Pillow – Luxurious
- Heart – Fun and Youthful
- Topsy-Turvy – Funky and Unique
Cake Types and Fillings
- Chiffron – A very light and fluffy cake made with vegetable oil. Can be stored or frozen without drying out.
- Sponge – A wedding favorite. Sponge cake is firmer and good for stacking cake layers on top of one another.
- Fruitcake – A rich sponge cake made with dried or candies fruit, chopped nuts, and spices.
- Chocolate – Chocolate sponge cake made with real melted Belgian chocolate and vanilla cream.
- Cheesecake – An alternative to traditional cake, a baked vanilla cheesecake with a crumbly biscuit base.
- Raspberry Creme – Alternate layers of mascarpone cream and raspberry filling with added fresh fruit.
- Fresh Strawberries – Add freshly sliced strawberries to clotted cream above an extra layer of strawberry jam.
- Belgian Chocolate – Add a bit of luxury to any sponge cake with a thick layer of Belgian chocolate creme with crepes.
- Lemon Sorbet – For a light, zesty zing, add a layer of lemon sorbet and fresh cream. Perfect for any summer wedding.
- Icing – White sugar paste flowers with edible pearls and painted silver for a delicate touch.
- Gems – Adding sweets or edible gems and pearls is a great way to add texture to a flat iced cake.
- Shimmer – Gold and silver leaf can be used to add extra glamour.
- Natural – Add fruit and flowers for a natural theme. The flowers can be real or silk if preferred.
- Trim – Include beads of icing between cake layers for a traditional look.
- Paint – Intricate designs are hand-painted directly onto the icing. The design is totally unique so no two cakes will ever be the same.
- Piping – Floral inspired designs can be drawn using piped icing.
- Picture Perfect – Put your favorite photograph in the perfect place with a photo cake topper!
- Model Marriage – Go traditional with miniature look-a-like figurines. They also function as a keepsake!
- It’s A Sign! – Make a banner using your initials in chocolate or icing in a mold. You could also have “Mr & Mrs”.